Thesis submission and Viva & Submitting by Portfolio
Full details of the process and guidance on submitting your thesis can be found on the University’s ‘Guidance for electronic thesis submission’. All copies must contain the following:
- A title page with the title of the thesis, the name of the candidate, the name of the degree, and the date of submission or resubmission.
- An abstract of the thesis of not more than 300 words (in the exceptional case of a thesis written in a foreign language a summary in English of between 2,000 and 3,000 words is required as well as the abstract).
- Declarations pages (including embargo requests) signed by both you and your supervisor (signatures must be handwritten although these could be scans of handwritten signatures).
- Ethical approval letter (if applicable)
The steps for submission are outlined below:
- Intention to submit (MySaint)
- Preparing for submission of my thesis (MySaint)
In advance of completing this task, it is strongly advised that you discuss any requirements for embargo of both the full text of your thesis and underpinning data/digital outputs with your supervisor(s)
Both your title page and declarations must be compiled using the task in MySaint.
- Submit my thesis (Moodle)
- Preparing for submission of my Library copies (MySaint)
- Submit my final thesis
- Resubmission (6 or 12 months)
- Declare my intention to resubmit my thesis
- Preparing for the resubmission of my thesis
Submission of Higher Degree by portfolio
Higher degrees (DLitt, DSc or MD1) may be awarded in recognition of a corpus of work of a professorial standard attained over an extended period of no fewer than ten years, containing original and significant contributions to the advancement of knowledge and learning which has given the candidate international distinction in their particular academic field. Full details on the eligibility and processes can be found in the University’s Higher degrees policy.
If you have made a request to the Associate Provost (Students) to submit your thesis by portfolio and it has been approved, you will be required to create your title page as above in Mysaint, you will not be asked any of the questions in the ‘Create your declarations’ sections. Once you have completed the questions to create your title page, you will be taken to the confirmation screen to download/print/save both your title page and standard portfolio declarations.